Annual Reviews, an independent, nonprofit scholarly research publisher seeks an enthusiastic Wikipedian-in-Residence (WIR). The aim of this appointment is to improve Wikipedia’s coverage of the sciences by citing expert articles from Annual Reviews’ journals. The WIR will engage with Wikipedia editors across life, biomedical, physical, and social science articles and WikiProjects to help ensure responsible and valuable expansion of content.
This is a temporary position for 10 hours/week, paid at $30/hour USD which is anticipated to last for a period of up to approximately 1 year. This position can be based remotely from the following states: CA, OR, OH, NV, NC, WA, WI, CO, MA, PA, NY, HI, or MT.
The WIR will work with the team at Annual Reviews and receive guidance from Jake Orlowitz (User:Ocaasi, Founder of The Wikipedia Library).
We are currently seeking applicants with a scientific background and/or Wikipedia editing and organizing experience:
- Ability to match scholarly review articles that add context and the expert view to Wikipedia articles
- Background, education, or interest in any of these fields: life, biomedical, physical or social sciences
- Experience editing Wikipedia or writing for other public knowledge efforts
- Understanding of collaborative group project development
- Experience with online community organizing and outreach
- Comfort working across a distributed network of editors and researchers
- Ability to teach others about reliable sources, citation practices, and editing skills
- Familiarity with remote work, email, online scheduling and virtual meetings
- Excellent English writing, speaking, and communication skills
- Passion about open knowledge, research and education
We want to learn more about you. Please send your resume and cover letter explaining why you believe you are a fit for this role. You can apply using this link no later than March 20th 2020.
About Annual Reviews and Wikipedia:
Annual Reviews is a nonprofit publisher with a mission to synthesize and integrate knowledge for the progress of science and the benefit of society. We publish 51 review journals across the life, biomedical, physical and social sciences. An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Wikipedia is a multilingual online encyclopedia created and maintained as an open collaboration project by a community of volunteer editors using a wiki-based editing system. It is the largest and most popular general reference work on the internet.